Cooke have recreated their vintage Panchro lenses by going back to the original 1920 designs for the glass and building them into S4 style housing. The results are a set of primes with vintage characteristic mixed with modern touches like sharp centres, consistent colour and modern housing
|Focal Length ||Aperture||Close focus||Front Diameter||Weight
|18mm||T2.2||20cm | 8"||110mm||1.6 Kg
|25mm||T2.2||20cm | 8"||110mm||1.5 Kg
|32mm||T2.2||20cm | 8"||110mm|| 1.2 Kg
|40mm||T2.2||45cm | 1'3"||110mm||1.4 Kg
|50mm||T2.2||55cm | 1'6"||110mm||1.5 Kg
|75mm||T2.2||80cm | 2'5"||110mm||1.8 Kg
|100mm||T2.6||95cm | 3'||110mm||1.8 Kg
- PL Mount
- Based on the classic Cooke Panchro designs
- Vintage characteristics
- Cooke i technology in each lens
The growing demand for vintage Cooke Speed Panchro lenses from the 1920s to 1960s prompted Cooke to introduce a modern redesign of the vintage classic. They have manufactured the Panchro/i Classic, T2.2 to T3.2 Prime lenses.
Cooke’s new Panchro, is true to the original look of the now legendary Speed Panchro, recreates the same look and feel of the original with the advantage of modern glass mounted for today’s cameras. And, the new lenses come equipped with /i Technology for frame by frame digital information capture, as do all modern Cooke cine lenses for film and digital capture.
The original Cooke Speed Panchro, designed by Horace W. Lee in the 1920s, was a cine prime lens that chromatically enhanced an image when filming under restricted illumination. Cooke Speed Panchros combined a relative aperture as wide as f2.0 with an angular field of view and definition previously impossible with much smaller apertures. They quickly gained a worldwide reputation for quality cinema production and were widely used throughout the 20th century.
Panchro/i Classic Main Features
- The optics are designed to give maximum performance at full aperture with superior control of flare, distortion and spherical aberration.
- Accessible via contacts in PL mount that sync with /i compatible cameras.
- All Panchro/i Classic prime lenses are colour balanced, colormatched and compatible with Cooke 5/i, S4/i, miniS4/i and Anamorphic/i.
- T2.2 to T22 except 18mm, 100mm and 152mm.
- Every index mark is labelled. More detailed markings allow for more detailed focus control.
- Cooke’s Academy Award winning cam-style focus movement coupled with the added benefit of a large lens barrel diameter, has allowed for an increased number of focus markings, particularly at close focus. Spherical aberration has been controlled throughout the range of focal lengths to eliminate compensation of changes in back focus with aperture. A four-point contact bearing provides a smooth positive backlash-free movement.
- Cooke Hardened PL Mount with /i Technology contact.
- Large, clear numerals on both sides of the focus barrel benefit the focus puller when shooting under difficult lighting conditions.
- All Cooke Panchro/i Classic primes have a common fixed front diameter of 110mm.
- A scratch resistant PTFE hard anodised finish is provided on all Cooke lenses, providing a durable, hard-wearing surface to meet the most demanding environmental conditions.
- A nine-leaf linear module iris assembly is fitted into Panchro/i Classic primes.
- The lenses are designed for all shooting applications, including handheld and Steadicam, providing comfortable balance ratio with the latest compact cameras.
Reliability and Service
- Panchro/i Classic primes lenses are designed to meet a market requirement for fully reliable performance with a minimum of downtime
Other Cooke lenses available at Shift 4
Cooke S4i Lens Set
Cooke S4i Mini Lens Set
Cooke Anamorphic Lens Set
Cooke Varatol Vintage Zoom Lens
For more information on the Panchro/i Classics please visit Cooke’s website
To hire Cooke Panchro Classics please email [email protected]
Hire a Cooke Panchro/i Classic Lenses from us and you’ll find the following included:
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 18mm T2.2
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 25mm T2.2
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 32mm T2.2
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 40mm T2.2
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 50mm T2.2
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 75mm T2.2
- Cooke Panchro Classic/i 100mm T2.6